	@echo $(AAA)
	@echo $(XXX:var1=hey)
	@echo $(XXX:var1=there!)
<<

% make -f koe.mk
aaa
hey
there!

Asko Kauppi kirjoitti 17.10.2006 kello 22.49:

What is the benefit that $(lua ...) would bring, especially since a $(shell lua ...) can be defined to a macro?

Ken Smith kirjoitti 17.10.2006 kello 0.09:

I recently posted a patch to the GNU make mailing list that hasn't
gotten a lot of attention yet.

 http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-make/2006-10/msg00018.html

It adds $(lua ...) to make so you can execute lua programs similarly
to the way you can execute shell commands with $(shell ...).  I think
this may obviate the need for Guile support which has been on the
radar for several years.

If any of you think this is a great thing for make, please make some
noise at help-make@gnu.org so we can possibly get the maintainers to
accept it into the official distribution for the next release.

I'm including the original attachments as the linked mail archive
munges the filenames when I try to download them.

 Ken Smith