make loses as soon as
you start doing anything the slightest bit complicated --- recursive
makefiles, ew. Plus, it doesn't understand C dependencies. And the way it
tries (and fails) to guess what you want to do is awful. Scons loses because
it seems to me to be overly complex and requires the end user to install
Python. Ant loses because it's written in Java. All the other build systems I
looked at suffered from the same problems.

I can't tell you how much I agree you here.  Everytime I've tried to
use make to build a project of any size that uses subdirectories, it
has been a nightmare of looking at GNU's make documentation and
wondering who on earth made such an esoteric beast.  I wonder if the
people making this kind of software have any kind of human qualities
about them, especially common sense with respect to how people
interact with software.  The terminology and syntax is so difficult to
wrap your mind around and it doesn't have to be this way.  I'm looking
forward to trying PM out.

wes