On 16-Oct-06, at 2:16 PM, Glenn Maynard wrote:

On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 03:01:38PM -0400, Ralph Hempel wrote:
Yes, but if the thread with this code is reading in between
the non-atomic write of the other thread, are we not back where we
started? :-)

True.  Just waking up.  I'm uncomfortable with relying on atomic_t,
though.  I've never actually heard of it being a standard type, or
seen it in any code outside of the Linux kernel, and that defines
it itself.

atomic_t was my typo. As David and Roberto pointed out, I meant sig_atomic_t, which is in posix.

However, it doesn't solve any problems which have to do with threads.