On 12/10/2006, at 1:11 PM, David Burgess wrote:

I wish to use the Wiki tutorials in a commercial product.

1) Can I do this? Does a donation to the Wiki support costs help?

As a contributor to the Wiki, I have mixed feelings about this.

On the one hand, my contributions are intended to help other people use Lua, and therefore I make them freely and without expecting payment. Also, it somehow seems wrong that I don't receive payment, but someone else repackages it, and does.

On the other hand, for the goal of reaching a wide audience to be met, perhaps repackaging into book form (if that is what you are talking about) is a sensible thing to do. Such repackaging would take work, and such work might be reasonably compensated by charging for it (and the printing and distribution).

For example, the "Programming in Lua" book is a commercial product. I'm not sure exactly where the money goes, but I know I paid for it.

Perhaps what would work would be, if such a book or other work were to be produced, that is would be acceptable if the articles in it were clearly marked as not being copyrighted (by David Burgess, or his publisher, at least) but that the copyright remains with the original authors - or, that they have been released into the public domain.

Thus, even in the book, they are as "free" as they currently are on the Wiki.

If you wanted to go down this path you might contact each Wiki contributor and get their permission for their work to be reproduced under these terms.

- Nick