Currection: The package is not compatible with Lua 5.1; it uses a small script to support packages with a direct call to global 'loadlib'. Hiding this script actually fixes the problem.

I thought Lua 5.1.1 fixed it because I ran the test from a different directory where the compatibility script was not visible,

This is my first attempt to use a package. Lua has been very useful so far without any packages.

Thank you for your patience.