Lua 5.1.1 fixes this problem. My appologies for not finding 5.1.1 earlier

On Fri, 6 Oct 2006, Claude Marinier wrote:
Built Lua 5.1 on Debian testing on Compaq DeskPro then built random module from LuaForge. The build of random fails when it tries to run the test script. Here is the output.

 make
 cc -I/usr/local/include -ansi -pedantic -Wall -O2 -c -o lrandom.o lrandom.c
 cc -o lrandom.so -shared lrandom.o
 /usr/local/bin/lua -lrandom test.lua
/usr/local/bin/lua: ./random.lua:7: attempt to call global 'loadlib' (a nil value)
 make: *** [test] Error 1

Modified lua-5.1/src/luaconf.h to define LUA_COMPAT_LOADLIB.

 /*
 @@ LUA_COMPAT_LOADLIB controls compatibility about global loadlib.
 ** CHANGE it to undefined as soon as you do not need a global 'loadlib'
 ** function (the function is still available as 'package.loadlib').
 */
 #define LUA_COMPAT_LOADLIB

The test script now works.

The comment implies that we may need a global 'loadlib' for a while and that we can do without it later.

Is LUA_COMPAT_LOADLIB required with random because it is not compatible with Lua 5.1 or did I misunderstand the comment and the purpose of the LUA_COMPAT_LOADLIB macro? If it's the first, how can random be made compatible? If it's the latter, please explain the meaning of the macro.

--
Claude Marinier, Information Technology
Defence Research & Development Canada (Ottawa)