On 5 Oct 2006, at 21:51, Sam Roberts wrote:

On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 08:32:31PM +0100, David Jones wrote:
And more importantly, nobody has posted here that *it doesn't work*.

It doesn't work!  On OS X 10.4.

Maybe using sysconf() if _SC_CLK_TCK is defined is a good way to go,
then, falling back on CLK_TCK otherwise?

I just added:

#undef CLK_TCK
#define CLK_TCK (sysconf(_SC_CLK_TCK))

and it compiles just fine. On OS X 10.4 CLK_TCK doesn't work with or without -pedantic btw. And sysconf works with or without it (slightly to my surprise).

I'd be loath to clutter the code with #ifdefs. Better to use the sysconf interface and see how many people complain. It says here (the sysconf man page on OS X) that sysconf was defined in 1988, _surely_ 18 years is long enough for most OSes to have got round to implementing it (see also C99 discussion :) ). But I'm sure LHF has an opinion on that too.

Oh dear.  Umm.  I take it all back.

I've now looked at how lposix _uses_ CLK_TCK. It's used to manipulate the results of the times(3) call. Which, in OS X, is documented as A) obsoleted and B) returning values in CLK_TCK's of a second. But sadly, as I've discovered, CLK_TCK isn't defined on OS X 10.4 so that makes times(3) completely useless.

Will try when I get home, but I haven't paid the apple tax yet, I'm
still at OS X 10.3. I hope you weren't using -pedantic to knee-cap
otherwise working code. :-)

No, the only reason I was playing around with lposix.c was because of the discussion here on the list.

I'm a great fan of -ansi -pedantic -Wall though.

drj