On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 02:31:49PM -0700, Sam Roberts wrote:
> Try without -pedantic. The only purpose of -pedantic is to make some
> code NOT compile, and you want lposix.c to compile.

The gcc documentation claims -pedantic only adds warnings, not errors.
I guess the glibc folks are detecting the switch, and using it for
things it wasn't meant for?

> POSIX believes the system clock tick rate is not necessarily constant -
> perhaps even configurable during boot or run-time. In that case it
> shouldn't be a define, so they "deprecated" the traditional unix define.
>
> Linux has had a 10ms tick rate for a long time.

It's configurable; 1000Hz (1ms) is "recommended", 250 is the default, 100
was used in 2.4.  I use 1000 without problems.

> Do you want to delve
> into the arcane depths of evolving unix APIs, or compile lposix.c? :-)

If your goal is to compile it and put it on a shelf, maybe you just want
to compile it; but I think most people compiling it want to use it, so
it's useful, not arcane, for it to actually work properly.  :)

(Granted that this isn't the most commonly-used API call.)

--
Glenn Maynard