Maybe AutoHotkey should embrace Lua as its language core, entirely? :)

On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 10:10:20 +0200
 Philippe Lhoste <PhiLho@GMX.net> wrote:
I use a language named AutoHotkey (or AHK), which allows to automate Windows applications. It still has lot of rough edges in its syntax, but it is useful to help day to day tasks.

Currently, it has only a very primitive array system, which is interesting by its concept, but is quite limited: In AHK, if var contains foo, array_name_%var% becomes the array_name_foo variable. So we can have numerical arrays (v = 1, a%v% is a1, like a[1]) and even associative arrays (limited to the range of characters allowed in variables names...). A big limitation is that these arrays are hard to make local, and nearly impossible to give as parameters to a function or to return them.

So the author of the language plans to implement true arrays. I believe he should go one step further, and implement associative arrays as well. And naturally, I took a look at the way tables are implemented in Lua, knowing they are efficient and easy to use.

Of course, I have (re)read the Implementation of Lua 5.0 paper, and even the Reducing the retrieval time of scatter storage techniques one. The later is a bit too theoretical for my taste, but I suppose I could manage to get something out of it.

I also took a look at ltable.c, but without knowing intimately the internals of Lua, it is hard to follow (gnode, gkey?). I believe that with lot of work, I can flatten this and make it usable for my needs, but I thought I should first ask if somebody did something like that before, so I won't reinvent the wheel (or recut it to make it oval...).

In other words, do somebody know some alternative implementation, or has done some detailed analysis of this algorithm or have some other material I could use?

In all cases, I will share my findings with the community, of course.

--
Philippe Lhoste
--  (near) Paris -- France