On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 04:46:23PM -0500, Rici Lake wrote:
> Not at all. The float 1.0 doesn't represent the integer 1. It is an
> integer. (That is, it is a precise description of the integer 1).
> Arithmetic with such integers continues to be platonically integral
> until you reach the representational limit of the floating point
> implementation, say 2^53.

The float 12.0 is the integer (base 10) 12 is the bit string (base 2) 1100.
Same thing.  Of course, it may not be stored in memory like that, but
neither is the integer stored in memory as an integer.

> Anyway, I have this growing suspicion that we are simply have different
> views on this issue and continuing to discuss it, amusing though it
> might be for by-standers, will resolve nothing.

Me too, and I think we've diverged pretty far, anyway.  It's still
a more useful discussion than the "change the Lua list to a newsgroup
or a web forum" threads, though.  :)

--
Glenn Maynard