> grumbling about the mess that Lua 5.1 became by dumping lua.c and
> other non-library source files right in src ...)

We thought it made things simpler... (It's also simpler to keep track of
dependencies.) On the other hand, src/Makefile tries to document all the
bits that make up the build. For instance, there's

CORE_O= lapi.o lcode.o ldebug.o ldo.o ldump.o lfunc.o lgc.o llex.o lmem.o \
        lobject.o lopcodes.o lparser.o lstate.o lstring.o ltable.o ltm.o  \
        lundump.o lvm.o lzio.o
LIB_O=  lauxlib.o lbaselib.o ldblib.o liolib.o lmathlib.o loslib.o ltablib.o \
        lstrlib.o loadlib.o linit.o

So, if you want to build only the core modules, you could do
	make a LIB_O=

(But you'll probably need to set PLAT or MYCFLAGS inside src/Makefile.)

Do you have (or anyone else) any suggestions on how to improve src/Makefile?
(Perhaps we could replace "all" in the platform-specific rules with $(ALL).)
--lhf