On Sep 20, 2006, at 11:44 AM, Paul Hudson wrote:

>The argument that I have always wanted to try is: let's say there was a

> _javascript_-like language, which was a pure subset of _javascript_, but

> without things like exceptions and regular expressions, and with

> relaxed rules for prototyping, could we use it?

Why would you want to? Just use _javascript_.

In other words, once you throw out all the things in Lua that are different from _javascript_, you’ve no longer got Lua, you’ve got a _javascript_ subset.

Well, let's see. Lua has better GC and a faster interpreter. If the "_javascript_ subsetness" gives you those benefits, maybe it is the right tradeoff.

But I'm sorry. I always think something useful can come out of these exchanges. But there is a chasm between each and every scripting language which seems impossible to ever bridge. I'm sure we could be having this same conversation on the Python, Ruby and Perl forums - with the same conclusions.

The only conclusion I can draw from all this is that I need to stick to Apple's version of _javascript_, which is good because that is what I have been doing! Maybe someday it will be as fast as Lua and you will all come begging to me to use it. And I will let you use it... for a price :-)

-----
~Chris                       And now, an important message from Microsoft:
chris@marrin.com  "Dear aunt, let's set so double the killer delete select all"