>The argument that I have always wanted to try is: let's say there was a

> _javascript_-like language, which was a pure subset of _javascript_, but

> without things like exceptions and regular expressions, and with

> relaxed rules for prototyping, could we use it?

Why would you want to? Just use _javascript_.

In other words, once you throw out all the things in Lua that are different from _javascript_, you’ve no longer got Lua, you’ve got a _javascript_ subset.

If you throw out only some of the things that are different from Lua, you’ve got an unfamiliar language for your users (if they’d have difficultly with the syntax changes, they’d surely have difficulty with the same syntax doing something different)/

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, …

>Or are the corner cases of the semantics important?

… but it turns out to have four feet and hair, then it’s not a duck.

If they’re likely to turn up in user’s code, then yes, the corner cases matter.

>I just can't convince my management to use it in some end-user oriented projects.

Let’s flip it around. If I can’t use anything in Lua that’s different from _javascript_ (because it’s unfamiliar or whatever), then why should they? What benefit are you or your company or your end-users getting from your use of Lua?

-----

~Chris                       And now, an important message from Microsoft:

chris@marrin.com  "Dear aunt, let's set so double the killer delete select all"