Noticed the web dominance, too... :)

Perhaps web is an area, where :
- benefits are obvious (number of servers you'll need, Lua can be 10x faster than.. $p*rl) - interfaces exist (so new background frameworks won't matter to the user)
- entry level is low (HTML needs a text editor, right..)

Compared with games, and embedded arena, there's probably more openness, and wish to interchange technologies, too.

One thing I'm eager to see is, how much overlap, and/or synergy there would be amongst these approaches. Perhaps, a new LKL (Lua Kepler Lumikki?) is about to see Light! ;)

-asko