On 30 Aug 2006, at 11:15, Christopher Lux wrote:

hi,
i am new to this mailing list. so hello ;)

i am working on some scripting functionality for my application. i chose lua for various reason, one being its simplicity. now i ran into an problem with lua, namely the function of the equality operator. it is impossible to overload it for userdata types (i am using luabind). i can't define the == operator for my classes to work with for example int, float or string literals. this is because lua only uses the == operator for objects of the same type. i found the lua patch [1] on lua-users.org which solves this. is planned to work such a patch into future lua?

i think it would be a very powerful addition which ohter scripting languages (like python) support and would make lua even better.

Perhaps it's time to get with the program (evolution towards Common Lisp, naturally), and embrace EQL, EQUAL, and EQUALP (leaving the abomination EQ in the gutter to die the death it deserved to get in committee). The people who like lots of numeric types can also throw = (I suppose it would == in Lua) into the mix.

drj