Javier Guerra wrote:

as fascinating as Plan9 is, i think currently Linux and BSD are far more appropriate for a server platform.
Agreed.

also, even if the 9P protocol might be the cleanest and most flexible way to export a filesystem on a network, the lack of clients limits it to experimental setups.
Not sure about that. We have v9fs in Linux. (And the npfs libs for servers.) Plus client written in Python and JAVA.

I started the question about Lua on Plan9 because I like the idea of wrting a few little apps on the system. My interest in 9p servers / clients centres around Linux. FUSE is fine. I can allways use npfs to export a FUSE based server to the network via 9p..:-)

Bob