There is a chat bot project for irc using lua, it may be interesting to you : http://luaforge.net/projects/luabot/
IIRC there are just small C functions to manage low level network access, and the whole bot is written in lua.

-----Message d'origine-----
De : lua-bounces@bazar2.conectiva.com.br [mailto:lua-bounces@bazar2.conectiva.com.br] De la part de David Given
Envoyé : 24 juin 2006 20:13
À : Lua list
Objet : Re: Wanted: instant messenger protocol handler

Samuel Stauffer wrote:
[...]
> Great to see interest in this.
[...]
> If you e-mail me directly I can get back to you on any new versions or
> developments. Also, if you have any fixes/updates or comments I would
> love to hear about them. If there's enough interest then I can setup a
> forum or mailing list for the project.

Excellent --- this looks ideal. I'm right this minute trying to put together a Lua VM with all the appropriate dependencies (with all the best will in the world, that aspect of Lua is *not* something that it does well), and then I'll see how it goes. Ta!

--
+- David Given --McQ-+ "Gaping from its single obling socket was
+- www.cowlark.com --+ original)