The LuaX mail I wrote last night tells that those modules, including 'lib.sys' which has pretty much what you are after (don't forget ms level timings ;) will eventually come out as Lua native compilable thingies.

If you want, we can already start working on that (hmm.. will late this week do?) That would definately be better than starting from scratch, at least.

Also, LuaCheia had its own system module, developed about at the same time as LuaX 'sys' (looong ago!)

-asko