Just use the "integer patch" from Wiki power patch pages.

http://lua-users.org/wiki/LuaPowerPatches

It boost Lua non-FPU performance by 33-500% (depending on application) and does not modify the
usage of Lua in any way (that is, numbers are numbers, and only internally optimized if they are not
needing FPU's).

The patch is well tested, on both NSLU2 and N770 hardware (ARM CPUs).

-asko