On Apr 05, 2006, at 07:17, Lisa Parratt wrote:

On 4 Apr 2006, at 23:48, Chris Marrin wrote:
So I have a feeling that gamers that make such complaints are like audiophiles who claim to be able to tell the difference between a tube and FET amplifier (that should get all the audio geeks out of the woodwork).

Hmm - I thought the harmonic distribution was different between the two, which is what makes valves sound warmer than ICs?

Not to mention Helmholtz compound tones (the real world isn't linear). I'm told that there are studies that show that when noise and hiss are added to music then lots of people prefer it.

Yes people can tell the difference between a 10ms delay and a 20ms delay. Maybe not everyone.

Yes Lua is fast enough to write a game engine in, it's just a matter, as Kerry Thompson says, of specifying your performance parameters. How many sprites / layers / polygons / pixel shaders do you want?

drj