Life has changed a bit with 5.1, if I may quote from the manual

<quote>
The garbage-collector pause controls how long the collector waits
before starting a new cycle. Larger values make the collector less
aggressive. Values smaller than 1 mean the collector will not wait to
start a new cycle. A value of 2 means that the collector waits for the
total memory in use to double before starting a new cycle.

The step multiplier controls the relative speed of the collector
relative to memory allocation. Larger values make the collector more
aggressive but also increases the size of each incremental step.
Values smaller than 1 make the collector too slow and may result in
the collector never finishing a cycle. The default, 2, means that the
collector runs at "twice" the speed of memory allocation.
</quote>

So, we get

> =gcinfo()
23
> a=string.rep(" ",5000)
> =gcinfo()
34
> a=nil
> =gcinfo()
35
> a=string.rep(" ",5000)
> =gcinfo()
35

Without tracing my bet is that the last string.rep did not invoke
realloc(). You can tune the default GC parameters in LUACONF.H
and control the GC using collectgarbage(). I guess it varies
depending on the type of app that you have, but the current
GC behaviour is gentle with allocations on my application set.

It can be helpful to add a logfile trace (or OutputDebugString() )
to lua_alloc so you can see exactly when your app causes allocs
and frees.

I have no idea what causes the rash of lua_alloc() calls at lua_open().

DB