Since Lua 3.2 has not been a problem that I have had on WIndows.
I have played with using HeapAlloc / VirtualAlloc and friends
with little benefit. realloc() (RTL issues aside) seems just fine.

The thing that goes for you with Lua on Windows is that
apart from startup you are unlikely to perform small
(fragmenting) allocations/deallocations.
I presume you are using the MSVCRT.dll.

DB