On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 02:10:21PM +0000, Lisa Parratt wrote:
> Klaus Ripke wrote:
> >On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 01:45:15PM +0000, Lisa Parratt wrote:
> >>Unfortunately my employer doesn't believe in software developers having
> >>access to the relevant literature needed to perform their job.
> >C99 is available at http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n869/

Note that N869 is a draft and is not identical to the final spec.  But
it's indeed what I usually turn to since it's close enough for most
things and the plaintext is easier to navigate than the PDF.

A downloadable PDF of the final version can be bought from ANSI for $18.

> I've always favored the relevant edition of "The C Programming Language"
> to the dry and dusty spec - more readable.

True, the Standard itself can be difficult to read.  It does have the
advantage of being more authoritative, and covering all of the weird
little corner cases that C allows.  For example does the CPL say much
about trap representations and padding bits?

                                                  -Dave Dodge