I broke my own rule, "Never Upgrade!", and now the linkage
to external C code is broken.  I'm getting linker errors like:

/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
_luaL_getmetatable
_lua_newtable
_lua_setgcthreshold
_lua_tostring

Some of these are now #defined, rather than in stubs, so I could
maybe recompile tolua.c  But I can't find lua_setgcthreshold(),
and what happened to lua_dobuffer()?  Why is it gone?
...I don't even know what it is, and still I miss it.

Is there any hope for tolua with 5.1, or what is the external C linker
of choice?  I like tolua because it worked right away, linking in
a couple large 3rd party libraries, it has argument type-checking
which you can turn off for speed, and you can read the output.

There seem to be a good half-dozen C linking options, I looked
briefly at tolua++, but it doesn't use makefiles, I'd have to download
yet another third-party package which runs python scripts (what??).
And there's no guarantee that our existing interfacing files would
still work.

We already have a pretty large working system, with shared memory,
etc, so maybe it's back to 5.0.2. When will I learn, "if it ain't broke,
don't fix it!"

Sorry, I've only been here a month, and already I'm whining.
Advice appreciated.

rob