Sorry, I am confused then; I thought there were already several
non-standard libraries that implemented this functionality, ex LuaCheia.
What is it you think is missing?

If you were to make your own library, it wouldn't be much harder than
exporting a subset of POSIX to Lua and compiling the source with
gcc/mingw.  That should take care of nix/win32/mac.  A library that did
anything more than this would be redundant I think, since you would be
re-implementing a lot of POSIX-like functions on windows, which has
already been done rather nicely by mingw.

Assuming they are written well, it should be trivial to port any Lua
POSIX library to windows or mac.