On Monday 31 October 2005 17:06, PA wrote:
> http://www.mindview.net/WebLog/log-0025

He wants to use OCaml, he does.

OCaml is a strong, polymorphic, statically typed language where, ideally, the
compiler guesses what types you're using automatically. If you say:

let fnord x = x

...then it knows that the function fnord will work for all xes, regardless
what type they are. If you say:

let fnord x = x + 1

...then it knows that x must be an integer (because + only works on integers).

But the really cunning bit is that this applies to objects too. I can't
remember the syntax, so I'll switch to Lua-esque pseudocode. This:

o:method1()

...tells the compiler that o must be an object that implements method1. This
means that you can pass in *any object* that happens to implement method1 ---
it'll work, and be statically typed. Using his example, you could implement
Cat, Dog and Bob has three seperate classes, and provided they all
implemented the 'speak()' method, this function:

function command(pet)
	pet:speak()
end

...would work on all of them *and be type-safe*. If you like, the compiler has
generated an implicit interface containing the 'speak' method.

It's very, very neat, and manages to give you the best of both worlds; strong,
statically checked types, and easy-to-write, polymorphic code.

Unfortunately, OCaml doesn't quite live up to this. There's a whole bunch of
issues with the language design which means you have to help the type checker
along, and it's very hard to produce 'nil' object pointers --- when I last
tried to write a real program in it, I eventually gave up in disgust.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't implement a Lua type checker that used
the same concepts. It would have to analyse a whole program at once, of
course, and some of Lua's more dynamic features would manage to bypass the
type checker... but it should be possible to define a subset of the Lua
semantics that could be usefully typechecked, but would also run on a
standard interpreter (which means no explicit type annotations).
Unfortunately, I suspect this is beyond my skills...

--
+- David Given --McQ-+ "If God spammed rasfw with the answer to Life, the
+- www.cowlark.com --+