To me, "static Lua" would be the way to make Lua usable in Grand Big projects.

In fact, I regard that as the major difference between Microsoft values (C#) and Lua. That is, 'they' absolutely seem to want static checking everywhere, and I can understand them allright.

As to myself, Lua as is is my favorite. But sometimes, some more checking options wouldn't hurt... Always better to find things at compile time than runtime.

-ak