  Hello Tyler,
I will recomend you to check Lua+. It is modified version of Lua and is specifically targeted at C++. It is simillar to LuaBind as it uses template metaprogramming
(so it will require your compiler to actually know tempaltes).
I find it more pleasant to work comparing to raw stack-based binding.
The documentation is little but suffiecent to help you getting started quickly.
Also as Lua+ modifies lua core it is quite efficient.
It has other useful features, like wide characters support,
optional different garbage collector and simplified memory management
but they are optional - personally I don't use them.
I used it only with VC7.1 so I cannot tell you about its portability.
To sum up,
  - Lua+ very nicely merges C++ classes with Lua
  - the code I wrote using Lua+ was more natural to me than LuaBind
  - the code at c++ side was easier to understand and maintain than LuaBind

Hope this helps,
Todor Totev