On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 11:59:59PM +0100, David Given wrote:
> What about SIGWINCH? Without that, your programs will be extremely antisocial.
well, there not many terminals but xterm to change size at all.
Then, for some applications is does not make much sense to use
a size other than a standard size and/or at least one would not
change it constantly, so having to type, say, ^L is acceptable.
Finally, if a small piece of C is used for the ioctl,
it does not hurt to add three lines to turn SIGWINCH into ^L.
But extremely antisocial - I don't think so.

> I know this isn't what you want to hear, but as someone who uses terminals
> extensively, *please* use curses!
curses? or ncurses? which version?
As someone who uses terminal-based apps on a lot of plattforms,
I have to say ncurses can be quite a pita.
There is something to adjust more often than not.
I really do not know why they still change it, but they do.
Xterm's interface is much more stable and portable than n/curses.

> Or at least termcap, which is easier to
> interface to, but is much more irritating to use. But either way, you'll
> still need --- somehow --- to trap SIGWINCH...
no big deal