On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 03:21:02PM -0500, Javier Guerra wrote:
> On Thursday 08 September 2005 12:41 pm, Carlos Augusto Teixeira Mendes wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've seen that the Lua_qt library is beeing licensed under GPL.  Any chance
> > of that beeing changed to the MIT license model (the same used under LUA)
> > or even LGPL in order to allow proprietary apps to use it?
>
> i think here the limiting factor is QT, which has only GPL and commercial
> licenses.

In my understanding, this isn't a limiting factor for the binding
library, assuming it doesn't use any of the Qt GPL'd code.  One benefit
of releasing Lua_qt under the LGPL or MIT licenses would remove the need
for commercial developers to negotiate both the Qt license and the
Lua_qt license.

> maybe (big maybe) it's possible to make a deal with trolltech if you buy their
> developer license.

Unless Trolltech developed Lua_qt, I don't understand why this is a
problem.  Lua_qt is a separate work, and the GPL viral terms in Qt are
only activated when it's linked into a product with a GPL'd Qt.  Neither
the MIT or LGPL licenses are incompatible with this.  Trolltech cannot
control the terms of a library it did not write.

Of course, the Lua_qt author may not particularly care about
facilitating commercial use of the Lua_qt code.

Best,

--
Shannon Stewman         | Let us walk through the waning night,
Caught in a whirlpool,  | As dawn-rays tickle our toes, the dew soothes