On 24-Aug-05, at 10:58 AM, Mark Hamburg wrote:

With the new functionality in Lua 5.1 the garbage
collector can do a full trace and we don't have extraneous anchors in the
registry.

Also, as I mentioned in another post, the registry is not (OS) threadsafe, so you can't reliably use that mechanism if lua threads are running in different OS threads. I think the new functionality is excellent; I'm only suggesting a slight renaming and a few bytes of extra funtionality.

The proposal for "C peers" radically simplifies binding libraries in the case where the same C structure might be used both as boxed and unboxed userdata. Assuming that I'm not the only person who would like to be able to do that, I think it would be a significant improvement, at a very small cost.

The proposal for renaming userdata environment tables "peer tables" is mostly about terminology, but being able to *not have* a peer table also simplifies binding code, as I've tried to show in the Wiki article.