On Thursday 11 August 2005 00:17, Glenn Maynard wrote:
[...]
> Turning off exceptions cut a 7 meg program down to 5 megs with g++, and a
> 4 meg program down to ~3.5 with VC.

Which gcc, may I ask? Spey is about 4000 loc, and produces a 120kB binary,
which I consider quite reasonable.

> I'm developing for memory-limited environments (not 128k
> embedded, but not half-gig-desktop, either: two megs matters), which
> influences my outlook, but I wouldn't enjoy all code on my workstation
> being 20% bigger, either.

But if it's more reliable and faster to write...

I do know where you're coming from, though. I use C++ for my day job, which
involves embedded systems, and we've had to give up using exceptions because
the code is just too big. (And uses *ludicrous* stacks --- about a megabyte
for one small program.) We put that down to poor compiler support.

--
"Curses! Foiled by the chilled dairy treats of righteousness!" --- Earthworm
Jim (evil)