On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 12:02:36AM +0100, David Given wrote:
> It uses exceptions extensively in order to communicate error states. Yes,
> they're not cheap in terms of code size, but used properly they can *vastly*
> simplify your logic flow. Another thing I was doing was never dynamically
> allocating anything if I could possibly help it; I think I use the new
> operator once in the entire program. (Although I do use STL containers quite
> a lot.) Since C++ exceptions call destructors, this means that all my memory
> allocation problems basically go away.

Turning off exceptions cut a 7 meg program down to 5 megs with g++, and a
4 meg program down to ~3.5 with VC.  (Numbers aren't exact--tests were over
a year ago--but the order of magnitude is correct.)  That's just too much,
in my opinion.  I'm developing for memory-limited environments (not 128k
embedded, but not half-gig-desktop, either: two megs matters), which influences
my outlook, but I wouldn't enjoy all code on my workstation being 20% bigger,
either.

--
Glenn Maynard