glenn-edgar@onyxengr.com wrote:
I have been involved recently in embedding lua in settop products for debug and testing purposes. Working in a hardware environment, there is the need to work with hex numbers. I worked around it by using helper functions, but it is still sort of clumsy in the user had to enter a= hex("0xff00ff") instead of a = 0xff 00

Well, given Lua syntax sugar, you can write:
a = x"FF00FF" or a = h'FF00FF'
which is almost as succint and quite readable too.
Of course, x or h is the function that convert a string to a decimal number. Can be in Lua (I think there are examples around) or in C.

I read previous posting an it appears that the lex part of lua could be extended to do that, but it would mean that I would have modified version away from the baseline.

Any suggestions on the correct approach to handling hex numbers.

You can change Lua to have a syntax familiar to C programmers, but it looks a bit like an overkill to me.

--
Philippe Lhoste
--  (near) Paris -- France