Modifying the lexer is the standard method.... I think there's even a
standard patch for it, on the lua-users Wiki
(http://lua-users.org/wiki). Don't worry too much about having a
modified version if you're embedding the thing anyway. Lua is easy to
modify, and your changes are unlikely to break it in any way.