I have a third suggestion for a change to require:

Don't load the names into the global namespace by default. Modules can do
this themselves if they insist,but they generally shouldn't need to.

Argument in favor: It avoids code fragility from a missing require being
hidden by other modules happening to do the require.

Argument against: It complicates the command line environment.

I would be inclined to resolve the argument against by providing an easy way
to install an __index metamethod on the command-line globals environment
that automatically does the require and populates the globals.

Mark