On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 13:13 +0100, Chris Chapman wrote:
> When you say you run it for months at a time - what do you run it on?
> A PC with virtual memory capabilities would be able to deal with heap
> fragmentation far better than an embedded device with a fixed address
> space and heap (I'm not saying a Linksys router is such a device, just
> that it might be an issue).

A full-blown Linux box, although the data it deals with are largely of
similar size and short-lived, so it wouldn't fragment much.

Don't most Linksys routers run Linux on a CPU with an MMU these days
anyway?

Basically, I think it depends a lot on your application, and what memory
management is available in the OS.

--
Rob Kendrick, Pepperfish Ltd.         +44 (0)845 226 4146  www.pepperfish.net
PGP signed or encrypted mail welcome                         Key ID: 3651D17A