On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 01:22 -0700, William Trenker wrote:
> I've been experimenting with Lua (5.0.2) running Xavante in a Linksys
> WRT54G wireless router.  The software runs just fine and Xavante,
> coupled with Cgilua, makes a great little application server.  I am
> wondering if anyone has any experience with long-running lua
> processes?  For example, are their any concerns regarding garbage
> collector settings and the possible impact on memory management such
> as heap fragmentation?  The very fact that Xavante / Cgilua / Copas
> exist encourages me that the Lua developers see Lua as a serious
> long-running contender.  Lua is fabulous!

I routinely run a Lua 4.0-based application for months at a time, and
only stop it to upgrade.  Its memory usage is fairly constant between
2.5 and 3.5MB, no matter how long it has been running.

What sort of "long" are you talking about?  Weeks, months, years?
Although I've no experience of long-running Lua 5.0-based applications.

--
Rob Kendrick, Pepperfish Ltd.         +44 (0)845 226 4146  www.pepperfish.net
PGP signed or encrypted mail welcome                         Key ID: 3651D17A