To separate error messages from the C source code seems to me a sound
idea, which makes localisation easier (as Andy said). An alternative
approach which can look nicer for the Lua authors instead of using
defines like

> #define LERR01 "stack overflow (#01)"

would be to use more aptly named macros as in

#define LERR_STACK_OVERFLOW "stack overflow (#01)"

It would leave the code as readable as it is today.

Best regards,
Adriano.