I think your problem is solved in 5.1
IF you replace the dofile() with a loadfile().
In 5.1 work4 loadfile() uses the package.path to load the script just
as require does. Hence, EOP.
Hopefully, in 5.1 dofile will have similar behaviour to loadfile(). Which would
also be end of problem.

Does this solve the problem for locating other (non-lua) files relative to my package also, or only other .lua ones?

Say I want to load a .jpg file that I bundle with my package, for whaterver reason, can I use this method in 5.1 to do this?

If not, then the problem still exists...

Love, Light and Peace,
- Peter Loveday
Director of Development, eyeon Software