On Sun, 2005-01-16 at 04:58, Wim Couwenberg wrote:
> > Why would you want to remove coroutines?
>
> Short answer: I don't need them.

Some apps need very fast context
switching of a massive number of logical threads of
control, such as games, telco, and web servers,
where pre-emption is out of the question because it
is much too slow and resource hungry.

EG: telco system, 600 calls/second [the rating of
a commercial analogue switch], 3 min average call --
you need 100K threads.

I can run 500K Felix threads on my 700MHz PIII
using a coroutine like facility: when you need coroutines,
pre-emptive threads just won't suffice (on a Unix box)

voice: 061-2-9660-0850,
snail: PO BOX 401 Glebe NSW 2037 Australia