Don't you think that is an overkilling?

I don't :-) In fact, we've been using this kind of thing in our Lua 4 projects for quite some time now and it works wonderfully well. We use patterns to probe several extensions (most notably .lua and .lc but also extensions that are reserved for UI specification scripts etc.) to enable overriding particular modules. In this way a quickly edited .lua module overrides its "official" precompiled .lc counterpart in the same location. Since our module library is fairly large and distributed over a neat hierarchy of directories (including compressed archives lately!) this saves us a bundle in specifying the correct paths. (We also use interpolation of "$LIBROOT" patterns etc.)

Anyway, it works for us.  Just thought to let you know...

--
Wim