luaM_growvector(ls->L, f->kproto, f->nkproto, 1, Proto *, "constant
table overflow", MAXARG_A);

In 4.0.1, this call allows kproto to grow until it has MAXARG_A-1
elements. I can interpret it a few ways:

- f->kproto should be able to grow to MAXARG_A, and luaM_growvectors
has a mostly-benign off-by-1 bug (it should allow vectors to grow to
limit and not limit-1)
- f->kproto should be able to grow to MAXARG_A, and the code should
pass MAXARG_A+1
- my intuition is incorrect, and f->kproto really should only be able
to grow to MAXARG_A-1

Which is it? I bet it's #3 :-)