On 21-Dec-04, at 7:33 PM, Brett Bibby wrote:

Yes, DX exhibits this problem, but Lua brings it out all on its own in
certain situations! I have confirmed many times that calling into Lua and
manipulating some Lua Numbers can cause the denormals and precision to
change.  We have to wrap all calls into and out of Lua with _fpreset,
_control87 to keep it working correctly in all situations.

Lua is not doing anything to trigger that behaviour, as far as I know.
I would think that it is your C compiler setting the CPU's behaviour
to C's standards. Since Lua does not actually care about denormalisation
and precision (if you don't care), you should probably look for a
compiler setting which turns that behaviour off. If you are lucky,
you will find one.