[ partially off topic ]

> LOL - my point exactly - noone has any idea what Windows does,
> Microsoft more so!

That's being a bit unfair.  I'm no fan of any OS in particular, but I've
much experience with programming in Win32 and it gets the job neatly done.
Sure, there are some poorly documented features, that can be mind bending at
times, but the overall feel is not that bad at all.

Some recently raised issues can not be attributed to Win32 alone.  For
example if memory is zero-initialised is (in case of C/C++) language
defined.  Memory management in shared libraries is another such topic: you
have to understand that a .dll is not an .so before blaming your OS (holds
for OS/2 as well)...

Speaking of OS'es: my main development machine runs Win98se (on a 400MHz
Celeron no less...) and Lua runs like a charm!  :-)  I'm willing to perform
some socket tests if that would help the discussion.  It's my only Win98
machine though, so Win98-Win98 connections can only be tested over
localhost.

--
Wim