   I don't find it surprising that people think
statically-typed languages are so unconvenient,
because they are exposed only to C, C++, Java and the
like. There are high-level and very high-level
languages with more advanced static type systems, and
these languages are bridging the expressiveness gap
between dynamically and statically-typed languages.
You don't even need to declare the types explicitly :)
The magic is called "type inference" and is a
technique known since the 70s.

   Interested parties should look at OCaml (good
tutorial at
http://merjis.com/developers/ocaml_tutorial/), a fast,
natively and bytecode-compiled functional language
with OO constructs (classes and objects). There is a
very good compiler for a similar language called
Standard ML; the compiler is MLton (www.mlton.org).

   Also, there's Haskell (www.haskell.org). Although
not quite efficient as current ML dialects, it's very
high level and has a good native-code compiler (ghc).

   Well, it's good to know what's out there...

---
[]s, Andrei Formiga