Convention #1 (how it is):

#include "lua.h"

I type this reflexively cut and paste it etc.

Your library in changing this is simply different to the rest of the
code in the Lua
Distribution. You might be justified in saying that it "should be this
way", however
it makes it less likely that someone can/will build you library with
no additional
modification or system configuration.

Why is WIn32 different? (Ask Microsoft). Seriously, the INCLUDE environment
variable with speciifies include directories and search order. Problem
is that we have
have a "system" env. a user "env" and if you are using one of the MS
IDEs we have a
IDE environment and finally  the rules for how these environments are applied
depends on whether or not you are using the IDE to do command builds. My
point being is that in WIn32 I am more likely to make a  mess of the INCLUDE
env var than on say a Linux system.
If one uses
#include <compat-5.1.h>
in a library this MAY be the only library that I have that uses this header and
I am obliged to modify either the environment or modify the usual cl
invocation just for this library.
There are a few exceptions, but most of the Win32 code that I have
dealt with, reserves
the angle brackets for headers associated with the compiler distribution.
DB

--
DB