Hi,

Asko Kauppi wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, did you notice how much bigger the 64bit
> _executable_ was..?

Here are the results for all stripped Linux/ELF binaries (except for hppa
which was done under HP-UX 11i, but the binary format is comparable).
Same options (-O3 and with loadlib), but different compiler versions:

Size    Bits  Architecture
--------------------------
191192  32    i386
213272  64    x86_64
215868  32    ppc32
264240  64    ppc64
309936  64    alpha
470624  64    ia64
196608  32    hppa

Very interesting. I guess Itanium needs gobs and gobs of instruction fetch
bandwidth. Seeing that memory bandwidth is getting to be the #1 performance
factor for top-of-the-line CPUs nowadays, the x86_64 instruction set is
probably not such a bad choice (they have gotten some other things right,
too).

On a completely unscientific note I have to say that the x86_64 box is
darn fast. Compiling Lua was just a blink of an eye. I want one of these ...

Bye,
     Mike