 This is how I write my __index method...

  static int point2_index( lua_State* L )
  {
    const char* key = lua_tostring( L, 2 );

    if ( key[0] == 'x' && key[1] == 0 ) { // faster than strcmp()

      lua_pushnumber( L, lclass_checkobject<point2>( L, 1 )->x );

    } else if ( key[0] == 'y' && key[1] == 0 ) {

      lua_pushnumber( L, lclass_checkobject<point2>( L, 1 )->y );

    } else {

      // Index into the metatable.
      lua_getmetatable( L, 1 );
      lua_pushvalue( L, 2 );
      lua_gettable( L, -2 );
    }

    return 1;
  }

 The template function lclass_checkobject<>() just returns the point2 class
from the userdata or calls lua_error() if it's nil or not a point2 type.
The else block is the trick which solves your problem.

 I'm trying to speed up the function by the way as it's still a bit slower
than a normal table index operation.  I'm considering removing type checking
in lclass_checkobject<>(), but aside from that does anyone have any other
suggestions to speed this up?

  Tom Spilman
  Co-owner | Programmer
  www.sickheadgames.com