WR> To me that says that unless you specifically copyright something, then
WR> it is public domain, but if it is copyrighted, then you must
WR> specifically release it into the public domain if it is before the
WR> copyright expires.

as you say, this is the case for the USA, but (for example) in Germany
you can not give up your rights to your code (or writing or whatever).
As the "intellectual property" stuff is (going to be) harmonised
across the EU, the same is probably true for the entire EU-land.

On a separate note, the GPL has just been validated by a german court,
so you can get sued for violating its terms.
(see http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/49377 (in german only))

Gunnar

ObDisclaimer: I'm no lawyer, so I may be talking utter b*llsh*t